Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No Ma'am

Funny how quickly babies learn things. "No" probably being the most important. At least over here at Miss E's house. She hears it alot. As in all the time, every other second, constantly.
I'm not a big babyproofer. We did the obvious, like plug covers. But I refuse to make my home a padded cell. Miss E will fall. She will get hurt. That's part of being a kid. It's how you learn.
I may eat my words as she gets older. But it's not like I leave her unattended in the bathroom with the toilet lid open.
Fortunately, E listens well. For the most part. A few months ago we introduced the word 'no'. At first there was zero comprehension, of course. But lately, that cute little head is starting to understand.




Can I, can I, can I???


No ma'am!



Her reaction to the word varies, but it's always one of three things. She turns to look at me, with her hand almost touching the forbidden object, contemplates my face, then moves on to something else. Or she will shriek, a mad shriek, an obvious displeasure with my words. This is usually followed by repeat attempts to grab said object. Or, she will approach something and turn to look at me, waiting for my approval or disapproval. If I tell her no, then it's on to something else. If I tell her yes, then she happily picks it up and promptly puts it in her mouth.
When she shrieks and makes a face, it takes everything not to laugh and smile. She's just so darn cute when she squishes up that pretty face and lets me know, "I am so not happy with you Mother." However, I know one day soon I will appreciate that I turned my head away to hide my smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment