Thursday, November 11, 2010

Schoolgirl

I can't believe it, but we officially have a school girl, or baby rather. Yup, Miss E attended her first day of school today! Although we were going to wait until after she turned 1, this mama can't get any work done what will all the walking, opening cabinets, eating dogs, etc.
And I hate to say it, but I think E is flat out bored with me. Once she masters a toy, it becomes so last year. And as much as I'd love to keep showering her with new shiny toys, I kinda like our house the way it is with the sparkles and shapes and noise makers confined to certain spaces. And Ella loves to be outside. And I love to take her outside, except for the dog bombs and those delicious looking acorns that she can't stop wanting to eat. And other babies? Totally adored by E. At Old Navy the other day she got all excited, preparing her in depth convo with the mannequin girl at the front of the store. A sure sign she needs to have her first "girl talk".
There is a reason there are people paid to teach littles. And I am not one of those people. As much as it scares me to think of someone outside of my family loving and hugging that sweet face with the fountain piggys, I know Ella will thrive at school. And it's only twice a week from 9a-2:30p. I think I can manage.
Pictures?? Who has time for pictures?? Not this baby-a-go-go.



No way, no how am I standing still for this Mom.


The only way to keep her from walking, er...running off was to pick her up



And no smiles, no matter how much of an idiot I made of myself with all the "Boo!"s and singing Hokey Pokey.

And we were right, Ella loves school. When we dropped her off I was prepared to hear the screaming as we walked down the hall. But nope, nothing. Not a peep. We put her on the floor to play and she took off, clearly more interested in the table with all the shiny new toys. As we left, I told hubs that surely she would realize in about 30 minutes or so that Mama wasn't there when she looked up. That when she got hungry, Mama wasn't there to make her bottle. That when she was tired, Mama wasn't there to cuddle her and get her lovey. And the screaming little would be released.
But when we went to pick her up, we watched her from the door to her classroom. She was playing on the floor with a shape. Happy as can be. It warmed my heart to see her so content, so focused on the toy. I could see her little wheels spinning, preparing to study all the curiosities of the world. She then turned around, recognized us and smiled...and turned right back to the toy. For just a second though, then she turned around and with that big open mouthed grin, crawled over to her waiting mommy and daddy.
Even though it was earlier than expected, my mommy heart told me that Miss E was ready. She was ready to learn and explore and become a little girl. And I was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment